E-1 - Treaty Traders

E-1 classification allows a national of a treaty country (a country with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce) to be admitted to the U.S. solely to engage in international trade on their own behalf.

To qualify for E-1 classification, a treaty trader must:

  • Be a national of the treaty country
  • Carry onsubstantial and principal tradebetween the U.S. and the treaty country

To qualify for E-1 classification, an employee of a treaty trader must:

  • Be the same nationality as the principal alien employer
  • Be engaging in duties of an executive orsupervisory character, or if employed in a lesser capacity, have special qualifications

Qualified treaty traders and employees will be allowed a maximum initial stay of 2 years. Requests for an extension of stay may be granted in increments of up to 2 years each. There is no maximum limit to the number of extensions an E-1 nonimmigrant may be granted.

Treaty traders and employees may be accompanied by spouses and unmarried children under 21.Spouses of E-1 workers may apply for work authorization.

List of Qualifying Countries:

  • Argentina, Australia, Austria
  • Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Brunei
  • Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia
  • Denmark
  • Estonia, Ethiopia
  • Finland, France
  • Germany, Greece
  • Honduras
  • Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy
  • Japan, Jordan
  • Kosovo
  • Latvia, Liberia, Luxembourg
  • Macedonia, Mexico, Montenegro
  • Netherlands, Norway
  • Oman
  • Pakistan, Paraguay, Philippines, Poland
  • Serbia, Singapore, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland
  • Taiwan, Thailand, Togo, Turkey
  • United Kingdom

Please contact us for more specific information.