Eb-2 - Second Preference Immigration

EB-2 is an employment-based petition for U.S. permanent residence designed for members of the professions holding an advanced degree or its equivalent, or a foreign national who has exceptional ability. EB-2 petitions must generally be accompanied by an approved Labor Certification from the Department of Labor.

There are 3 types of EB-2 petitions:

  • Advanced Degree: The job you apply for must require and you must possess at least a baccalaureate degree plus 5 years of progressive work experience in the field.
  • Exceptional Ability: “Degree of expertise significantly above that ordinarily encountered in the sciences, arts, or business.” You must meet at least 3 of the criteria below.*
  • National Interest Waiver: You must meet at least 3 of the criteria below* and demonstrate that it is in the national interest that you work permanently in the U.S. Petitioners do not need an employer to sponsor them and may file their Labor Certification directly with USCIS.


  • College diploma related to your area of exceptional ability.
  • Minimum 10 years of full-time experience in your occupation.
  • License or certification to practice your profession.
  • Salary for services that demonstrate your exceptional ability.
  • Membership in a professional association(s)
  • Recognition for your achievements and significant contributions by your peers, government entities, professional or business organizations.
  • Other comparable evidence of eligibility is also acceptable.

Your spouse and children under 21 may be admitted to the U.S. in E-21 and E-22 immigrant status, respectively.

Please contact us for more specific information.