F And M – Student Visas

F-1 or M-1 classification is designed for students provided they meet the following criteria:

  • You must be enrolled in an "academic" educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program
  • Your school must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement
  • You must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution
  • You must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency
  • You must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study
  • You must maintain a residence abroad which you have no intention of giving up.

The F-1 Visa (Academic Student) allows you to enter the U.S. as a full-time student at an accredited academic institution or in a language training program. The M-1 visa (Vocational Student) category includes students in vocational or other nonacademic programs, other than language training. F-1 and M-1 visas are issued for the duration of study. F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment. M-1 students may engage in practical training only after they have completed their studies.

F-1 and M-1 may be accompanied by spouses and unmarried children under 21 under F-2 and M-2 classifications, respectively.

Please contact us for more specific information.