J-1 - Exchange Visitors

J-1 classification (exchange visitors) is designed for those who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing, lecturing, studying, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training etc. 
Examples of exchange visitors include, but are not limited to:

  • Camp counselors
  • Government visitors
  • Nannies/Au pairs
  • Physicians
  • Professors or scholars
  • Research assistants
  • Specialists
  • Students
  • Summer work and travel
  • Teachers
  • Trainees

Terms of stay and employment are authorized for J-1 nonimmigrants only under the terms of the exchange program.

J-1 Exchange Visitors may be accompanied by spouses and unmarried children under 21 under J-2 classification. Spouse and children of J-1 visa holder may apply for work authorization.

Please contact us for more specific information.