R-1 - Temporary Nonimmigrant Religious Workers

R-1 classification is designed for a foreign national who have been a member of a religious organization which has an affiliated bona fide non-profit religious organization in the U.S. for at least two years immediately before the filing of the petition and who is coming to the U.S. temporarily to be employed as a minister or in another religious occupation by a non-profit religious organization.

Qualified applicants will be allowed a maximum initial stay of up to 30 months. Subsequent extensions may be granted for up to an additional 30 months. The religious worker’s total period of stay in the U.S. in R-1 classification cannot exceed 5 years.

R-1 religious worker’s spouse and unmarried children under 21 may be eligible for R-2 classification. R-2 is not authorized to work.

Please contact us for more specific information.